Family Portrait | What’s a Family For?
What was God’s design from the start?
1. To find fulfillment in relationships.
2. To fill the earth with people.
3. To represent God’s authority and reflect God’s image on earth.
1. Saturate the home with what God says about himself (Deuteronomy 6:4-9)
Jesus says this is the first and greatest commandment: to love the Lord with all your heart, soul and might.
Question: What saturates our homes?
2. Exercise what God says in the community of the home so that it strengthens and advances the community of faith (Deuteronomy 6:1-3)
The home is the laboratory where we are made into the image of Jesus.
If God’s ways aren’t being worked out in the home, it’s not transferring to the church.
Of those 18-29 year-0lds who identify closely with faith and the church, 43% drop out of regular attendance. (Barna Group)
Of those who drop out, 70% drop out between the ages of 18 and 22. (Essential Church)
3. Remind us of God’s grace so that it is recognized by those around us
Deuteronomy 6:10-12 & Deuteronomy 6:20-21
The family is a place where God’s grace is received, exercised, and passed on so that the world recognizes the grace and greatness of God.