November 3, 2013 Sermon Notes
Marks of a Disciple // Marked by Forgiveness
Ephesians 4:30-32 and Matthew 18:21-22
1. Forgiveness doesn’t keep score (Matthew 18:21-22)
What keeps us from forgiving others?
A. Hurt – wound that never heals
1. Afraid to address it because its messy.
3. Relive offense over and over.
4. No remorse or even sense of wrongdoing.
5. Time and distance.
B. Bitter – the hurt now becomes a change agent in our lives.
1.Outside: Our words and the tone of our words become hurtful. Our time is wasted. Our relationships start to drift as we isolate ourselves.
2. Inside: We become lethargic, discontent, disconnected from spiritual things, can fall into depression. We become self-absorbed.
2. Forgiveness releases a debt that cannot be paid (Matthew 18:24)
3. Forgiveness looks past what someone deserves (Matthew 18:25)
4. Forgiveness finds its power in the cross
Luke 23:34 – Father forgive them for they know not what they do.
5. Un-forgiveness puts ourselves in the Judge’s Seat (Matthew 18:28-34)
Romans 12:19 – Never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God. Vengeance is mine I will repay, says the Lord.