October 5, 2014 Sermon Notes
Philippians | Week 1
1. Together, they advanced the gospel beyond themselves | Philippians 1:1-6
Paul is joyful for what has been produced through their support of his ministry and through their gifts for suffering believers in Judea.
The heart of true fellowship is self-sacrificing conformity to a shared vision (D.A. Carson).
2. Together, they modeled the gospel by experiencing and sharing grace | Philippians 1:7-8
Shared in suffering and struggle with Paul
The gospel was both the environment and the goal of the church – Richard Melick
3. Together, they were to make progress in producing spiritual fruit | Philippians 1:9-11
Key verse: And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ. | Philippians 1:6
Two questions regarding spiritual discernment: (Source: Warren Wiersbe, “Be Joyful”)
1) Will it make make me ashamed if Jesus should return?
2) Will it cause others to stumble and fall?