September 1, 2013 Sermon Notes
MARKS OF A DISCIPLE // Connected to the Holy Spirit
Jesus desired for his disciples to be connected to him and do greater things for him.
1. The Holy Spirit indwells every believer. (John 14:12-17)
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
The Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God. – Romans 8:16
Presence of a person with immense power to transform us.
a. Wake up to the presence of God in you. (Psalms 139:7-11)
b. Give up control.
2. The Holy Spirit guides every believer toward Christ and making him known through us. (John 16:12-15)
Seven instances of guidance by the Spirit in the book of Acts:
1. Direct an individual to speak to someone about Jesus. – Acts 8:29
2. Express a warning to congregation. – Acts 11:27-30
3. Send out missionaries. – Acts 13:2-4
4. Settle a theological debate. – Acts 15:28
5. Close one door, reroute mission work. – Acts 16:6-7
6. Give broad picture of suffering to come. – Acts 20:22-23
7. Warn about danger ahead. – Acts 21:10-11
a. Be continually controlled by His power. (Ephesians 5:18)
Do not grieve him by remaining in sin. (Ephesians 4:30)
Do not quench him by retaining control of areas of your life. (I Thessalonians 5:19)
b. Listen and look for His direction.
Take a card and answer this question daily: Holy Spirit: What step do you want me to take today that will make me more like Jesus?